Control Calorie Intake
self monitor regularly to help recognize and correct any fluctuations quickly
– Weigh yourself twice a week
– Track your food intake to calculate calorie intake eat breakfast regularly to help spread your
calorie intake throughout the day. Also curbs overeating and excessive snacking exercise regularly
– Spend 60 minutes daily on physical activity (walking, household chores, dancing etc).
Start small – walk 10 minutes/day to start,then increase by 3-5 minutes each week.
Expanding Portion Sizes
Control portion sizes to control dress size by At home
– Eat off of a smaller plate so that the portion appears to be more than it actually is
– Don’t make big batches that will allow you to over-eat
– Wrap up any leftovers before the meal begins to prevent second helpings
If you are eating out
–Tell the waiter NOT to bring the bread/naan basket
– Split a regular sized meal with a friend or family
– Eat fresh fruit in place of high fat desserts
Balancing calories is to eat foods that provide adequate nutrition and an appropriate number of
calories. You can help children learn to be aware of what they eat by developing healthy eating habits,
looking for ways to make favorite dishes healthier, and reducing calorie-rich temptations.
Source: Indian Foods: AAPI’s Guide To Nutrition, Health and Diabetes SECOND EDITION from Allied Publishers Private Limited